account
search
search

SoCal standoff ends as suspect kills self

  |   Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:58 PM
ENCINITAS, Calif., Feb. 21 (UPI) -- A standoff in Encinitas, Calif., between a man who shot at two deputies ended when the man was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, officials said.

San Diego County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Melissa Aquino said robots were sent into the house to check on the suspect Thursday, and a SWAT team entered the residence soon after, U-T San Diego reported.

Sheriff's Capt. Duncan Fraser confirmed a media report about noises from the house were heard Wednesday night, but said it was unclear if that is when the shot was fired.

The suspect, whose name has not been released, was "extremely upset" about a restraining order filed by his mother last week, Fraser said. The reason for the restraining order was not given.

The man shot at the two deputies Wednesday afternoon, wounding both men and sparking the standoff at his mother's home, the newspaper said.

The mother called sheriff's deputies Wednesday afternoon to report that her son showed up and took her car, the captain said. The suspect returned later.

Two patrol deputies responded and entered her home, where they located the suspect hiding and negotiated with him for several minutes to emerge, Fraser said.

Officials said the man was making threats and deputies fired tear gas. The suspect responded with gunfire, Fraser said.

One deputy had surgery for a severe leg wound and was in stable condition Thursday, officials said. The other deputy was grazed on his forehead and was treated and released.

Related UPI Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback