facebook
twitter
search
search

K.C. firefighters battle 4-alarm blaze

Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM

KANSAS CITY, Mo., Feb. 19 (UPI) -- Firefighters in Kansas City, Mo., fought a four-alarm fire Tuesday evening after an explosion at a restaurant, authorities said.

City Fire Battalion Chief James Garrett said it appeared the blast that triggered the fire at JJ's restaurant near the upscale Country Club Plaza was fueled by a gas leak, The Kansas City Star reported. The explosion, which occurred shortly before 6 p.m., could be felt several blocks away.

"I thought something had exploded in my house," said Peggy Zilm, who lives about 7 blocks away. "It's horrible."

The newspaper reported a man with blood on his face was seen being wheeled away on a gurney.

Emergency crews had spread tarps on the street and had other gurneys out, possibly in anticipation of further victims, the Star said.

The University of Kansas Hospital said two people with injuries came in on their own.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Pilot in Taiwan plane crash shut down wrong engine, black boxes show
Small plane crash kills two near Dallas
Russian diplomats slam 'divisive' UN measure on Srebrenica
Customs officials seize stolen Indian statue worth $1M in New York
Talks with NKorea come with conditions, says White House advisor