UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

DoD prepares to furlough civilian workers

|
 
Published: Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:35 PM

WASHINGTON, Feb. 19 (UPI) -- The Pentagon said it is preparing to notify Congress it plans to impose furloughs on civilian U.S. defense workers because of impending budget cuts.

The department will notify Congress Wednesday it plans to furlough almost 800,000 employees one day a week beginning in April, unless Congress finds a way to avoid across-the-board domestic and defense spending cuts scheduled to take effect March 1, Stars and Stripes reported Tuesday.

Federal law requires the department to notify Congress at least 45 days in advance of such furloughs, and regulations require that affected workers be notified at least 30 days in advance, the report said.

Defense officials estimated civilian workers would be furloughed for a total of 22 days beginning April 1 and running through the end of the fiscal year Sept. 30, the report said.

Military troops would not be affected immediately. Political appointees and defense workers whose incomes are not appropriated by Congress would also be spared, Stars and Stripes said.

Lt. Col. Elizabeth Robbins, a Pentagon spokeswoman, said the Defense Department is not planning for furloughed civilian workers to recoup lost pay, as has been the practice in past government shutdowns.

Furloughed workers may not be able to draw unemployment because of the way the furloughs are being implemented. The Pentagon would be responsible for paying unemployment benefits, which would force the department to make other cuts to cover that spending.

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional U.S. News Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
I-81 closed for several days in Harrisburg, PA after Gov. Corbett forgets to disable disasters on...
I smuggled a turtle
ಌ Maybe everything isn't hopeless bullshiat ಌ
Zuckerberg's attempts to make us all bow to the Facebook Mobile Phone Overlords are met with a resounding,...
It's confirmed, the TCNJ student that last month left her purse for identification on the George...
Fark Food Thread: How do you make the most of seasonal fruit? Is there a recipe you wait all year...