UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

GOP: No tax hikes for spending cuts

  |
 
Published: Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:36 PM

WASHINGTON, Feb. 17 (UPI) -- A Republican U.S. senator said Sunday his party will block any deal that includes tax increases to avoid steep budget cuts in defense and domestic programs.

Sen. John Barrasso, R-Wyo., said deals put forth by Democrats that include tax increases will be rejected by Republicans and predicted the budget cuts, known in Washington-speak as the sequester, will likely take effect.

"Let me be very clear -- and I'd say this to the president as I say it to you -- these spending cuts are going to go through on March 1," Barrasso said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union."

Democrats proposed a $110 billion measure to avert the cuts last week, a proposal that was summarily shot down. The cuts, dubbed the "fiscal cliff" were supposed to take effect Jan. 1, but lawmakers came together to put off their implementation for three months. They dramatically reduce spending on defense and agriculture subsidies supported by Republicans and many domestic programs dear to Democrats.

"Taxes are off the table," Barrasso said. "The American people need to know tax cuts are off the table and the Republican Party is not in any way going to trade spending cuts for a tax increase."

Senate Democrats said they remain optimistic a deal can be reached on terms laid out by President Barack Obama during his re-election campaign. Obama proposed raising taxes on the wealthy -- already enacted -- and paring tax loopholes exploited by corporations, while trimming spending on entitlement programs.

"I think that Democrats have the high ground both substantively and politically and we will win on this issue," Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said on the program.

Topics: Barack Obama, Charles Schumer
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional U.S. News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Police reveal greatest crime fighting weapon yet - Simon Cowell and dancing celebrities
Congratulations to Steve Jobs. Two years cancer free
Thanksgiving and the first day of Hanukkah will fall on the same date in 2013: Nov. 28. Are you...
FARK party in Chicago. Monday, October 7. Going to the Art Museum, getting pizza and drinking (OF...
If you leave your purse behind at a Foot Locker and it's got your cocaine inside, just let it go....
Catholics in America love the new pope. Catholic bishops in America, not so much