facebook
twitter
search
search

Brothers win lottery, blow up house

Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM

WICHITA, Kan., Feb. 17 (UPI) -- Police said two brothers who were celebrating their $75,000 winning lottery ticket in Kansas purchased drugs and then accidentally blew up their house.

One brother, 27, was sent to the hospital following the explosion Friday, The Wichita (Kansas) Eagle said.

He has second-degree burns on his hands, arms and chest and is in serious, but stable condition.

Police said the other brother was sent to jail.

The Eagle said one of the brothers went to the kitchen to refuel the butane torches they used to light their bongs, when he leaked butane into the air.

"The butane vapor reached the pilot light in the furnace, and as you might expect, ka-boom," Sgt. Bruce Watts of the Wichita Police Department said.

The victim's girlfriend put her boyfriend and some children in the car, dropped him off at the emergency room and left, The Eagle said.

Officers entered the home with a warrant and the other brother allegedly admitted to having marijuana and methamphetamine, the newspaper said.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Topics: Marijuana
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Pilot in Taiwan plane crash shut down wrong engine, black boxes show
Small plane crash kills two near Dallas
Russian diplomats slam 'divisive' UN measure on Srebrenica
Talks with NKorea come with conditions, says White House advisor
Customs officials seize stolen Indian statue worth $1M in New York