facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Brothers win lottery, blow up house

Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM   |   Comments

WICHITA, Kan., Feb. 17 (UPI) -- Police said two brothers who were celebrating their $75,000 winning lottery ticket in Kansas purchased drugs and then accidentally blew up their house.

One brother, 27, was sent to the hospital following the explosion Friday, The Wichita (Kansas) Eagle said.

He has second-degree burns on his hands, arms and chest and is in serious, but stable condition.

Police said the other brother was sent to jail.

The Eagle said one of the brothers went to the kitchen to refuel the butane torches they used to light their bongs, when he leaked butane into the air.

"The butane vapor reached the pilot light in the furnace, and as you might expect, ka-boom," Sgt. Bruce Watts of the Wichita Police Department said.

The victim's girlfriend put her boyfriend and some children in the car, dropped him off at the emergency room and left, The Eagle said.

Officers entered the home with a warrant and the other brother allegedly admitted to having marijuana and methamphetamine, the newspaper said.

Topics: Marijuana
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Hillary Clinton: Businesses and corporations don't create jobs Hillary Clinton: Businesses and corporations don't create jobs
2
Iranian woman accused of killing attempted rapist executed Iranian woman accused of killing attempted rapist executed
3
Terry Keenan, former CNN, Fox News anchor, dead at 53 Terry Keenan, former CNN, Fox News anchor, dead at 53
4
Top NSA spy is leaving position after conflict of interest accusations Top NSA spy is leaving position after conflict of interest accusations
5
Woman pleads not guilty to rape of Seattle man Woman pleads not guilty to rape of Seattle man
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback