facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Brothers win lottery, blow up house

Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM   |   Comments

WICHITA, Kan., Feb. 17 (UPI) -- Police said two brothers who were celebrating their $75,000 winning lottery ticket in Kansas purchased drugs and then accidentally blew up their house.

One brother, 27, was sent to the hospital following the explosion Friday, The Wichita (Kansas) Eagle said.

He has second-degree burns on his hands, arms and chest and is in serious, but stable condition.

Police said the other brother was sent to jail.

The Eagle said one of the brothers went to the kitchen to refuel the butane torches they used to light their bongs, when he leaked butane into the air.

"The butane vapor reached the pilot light in the furnace, and as you might expect, ka-boom," Sgt. Bruce Watts of the Wichita Police Department said.

The victim's girlfriend put her boyfriend and some children in the car, dropped him off at the emergency room and left, The Eagle said.

Officers entered the home with a warrant and the other brother allegedly admitted to having marijuana and methamphetamine, the newspaper said.

Topics: Marijuana
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Madeleine McCann report finds authorities hindered investigation
2
Obama approval rating hits record low in blue California
3
Iran boasts of nuclear energy potential
4
Mary Landrieu hit with residency, ethics complaints
5
Russia rejects Budapest Memorandum meeting on Ukraine sovereignty
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback