2 questioned in Hadiya's slaying

Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:37 PM

CHICAGO, Feb. 10 (UPI) -- The day after Hadiya Pendleton was buried, police questioned two individuals about the 15-year-old Chicago girl's shooting death, the Chicago Tribune reported.

The newspaper's police sources described the two young men being questioned as persons of interest. The 19- and 20-year-old men were pulled over early Sunday.

No charges had been filed against the two men, one of whom court files showed has a previous weapons conviction, the Tribune said.

A relative of Hadiya called the development a "good response."

Arresting those responsible "will bring a small level of closure to the family, although [the shooter] still will be allowed to eat, drink, mingle," family spokeswoman said Shatira Wilks. "The thing about that is, Hadiya is no longer to do so."

Hadiya, an honor student, was fatally shot and two other teenagers were wounded Jan. 29 in a park about a mile north of President Barack Obama's Kenwood home, eight days after she performed with the King College Prep band in Washington during Obama's inauguration festivities. Hadiya was not the shooter's target.

Related UPI Stories
Topics: Barack Obama
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy drops bid for speaker
WikiLeaks offering $50K for video of Afghan hospital bombing
Murdoch sorry for implying Obama's not a 'real black president'
Reid sues exercise companies over eye injury
Lumber Liquidators to pay $10M in DOJ settlement