facebook
twitter
search
search

2 die of carbon monoxide in Boston

Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:08 AM

BOSTON, Feb. 10 (UPI) -- Carbon monoxide buildup in cars left two young people dead and two others sick in Boston Saturday, authorities said.

A 14-year-old boy, chilled from helping his father shovel out their car, died after climbing into the running vehicle to warm up, The Boston Globe reported.

Witnesses said the father collapsed on a snowbank after yelling, "He's not breathing, He's not breathing." He was hospitalized in serious but stable condition, the newspaper said.

Less than 2 miles away, a man in his 20s was found dead inside a car about 4:40 p.m. He apparently had been in the car for hours before being found.

In a third case in East Boston, a brother and sister, ages 4 and 7, were found unconscious shortly before 5 p.m. inside a car. They were taken to a hospital in time and were expected to survive, police said.

The incidents prompted police to issue warnings about the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning from vehicle exhausts being plugged with snow. They also warned about the need for proper ventilation for indoor fireplaces and noted barbecue grills should not be used indoors.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Texas man killed in apparent alligator attack
Police arrest N.C. soldier with assault rifle headed to mall photo shoot
North Korean biochemical weapons researcher defects to Europe
Four accused in slave-labor trafficking ring on Ohio egg farm
Kentucky clerk sued for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses