facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

NYC boy, 8, dies in space heater fire

Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:49 PM   |   Comments

NEW YORK, Feb. 9 (UPI) -- A space heater ignited a couch in a New York home early Saturday and the fire claimed the life of an 8-year-old boy, authorities said.

The victim was identified as Aschton Charles, who had been asleep on the Brooklyn borough home's first floor when the living room fire broke out about 3 a.m., the New York Daily News reported. He was unconscious when firefighters carried him out and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Several other people in the two-story brick home, including his mother, were evacuated. One resident and a firefighter were taken to the hospital with minor injuries, the Daily News said.

The fire was spotted by a neighbor who was out taking photos of the snow and firefighters had the blaze extinguished within a half hour.

A source familiar with the investigation told the Daily News the home had no working heating system and the space heater may have been the only source of warmth for the family of eight. The source said there were no working smoke detectors in the residence.

The landlord, who was at the scene, wept but had comment, the newspaper said.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Hamas executes 18 it claims are Israeli informers, takes credit for kidnapping Israeli teens
2
Jodi Arias granted delay in death penalty retrial
3
Malaysia Airlines MH17 victims' bodies arrive in Kuala Lumpur
4
Man who spent 24 years in prison for arson murder freed
5
4 firefighters injured in 'Ice Bucket Challenge'
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback