facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Boy dies after drinking cleaner

Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM   |   Comments

MERCED, Calif., Feb. 5 (UPI) -- A 2-year-old boy in Merced, Calif., died after accidentally drinking a caustic cleaner, authorities said.

Jack Shearer was playing at a family friend's automotive services shop Friday, became thirsty. His grandmother offered him a bottle she found on the floorboard of her husband's truck, thinking it contained water, Merced County Sheriff's Department spokesman Tom MacKenzie said.

The bottle contained a cleaning solution used on aluminum wheels, MacKenzie said.

The grandfather called 911, then drove the boy to a local hospital. He was later transferred to Children's Hospital in Madera and pronounced dead, the Merced Sun-Star reported.

Detectives said they consider the death an accident, and no charges had been filed.

The grandparents' names were not reported.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
France holds up delivery of warships to Russia France holds up delivery of warships to Russia
2
Police suspect poisoning in death of Utah family Police suspect poisoning in death of Utah family
3
Navy SEAL who claims to be Bin Laden's shooter to reveal identity on Fox News Navy SEAL who claims to be Bin Laden's shooter to reveal identity on Fox News
4
Hawaii lava update: 100 feet from home, National Guard deployed Hawaii lava update: 100 feet from home, National Guard deployed
5
Kaci Hickox won't obey Maine Ebola quarantine, state may go to court Kaci Hickox won't obey Maine Ebola quarantine, state may go to court
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback