facebook
twitter
search
search

Man convicted in Oregon bomb plot

Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:41 PM

PORTLAND, Ore., Feb. 1 (UPI) -- Mohamed Osman Mohamud, a Somali-American, has been found guilty in U.S. District Court of attempting to bomb the Portland, Ore., town square.

U.S. District Judge Garr M. King read the verdict in court Thursday. Jurors determined Mohamud, 21, was guilty after a 20-day trial. He had been charged with attempting to detonate a weapon of mass destruction in Pioneer Courthouse Square, 4 blocks from the court room, during a 2010 Christmas tree-lighting ceremony, The (Portland) Oregonian reported Friday.

Mohamud's defense team claimed entrapment by the FBI. He met for months with undercover agents he thought were al-Qaida operatives in plotting what he thought would be a violent holiday attack, the Los Angeles Times said.

Mohamud's chief lawyer, Stephen R. Sady, said the verdict would be appealed, prior to the scheduled May 14 sentencing, to demonstrate Mohamud should receive a sentence lighter than the potential term of life in prison he faces.

"We're disappointed with the verdict. We obviously thought he was entrapped," said Sady.

Mohamud's conviction makes him the ninth person to raise an entrapment defense after being snared in FBI terrorism stings since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks on the United States, said Karen J. Greenburg, director of New York's Fordham Law School Center on National Security, noting all have been convicted.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Topics: Sept. 11
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Israeli military calls up reserves for surprise drill
No reports of injuries after 6.9-magnitude earthquake in Alaska
Oklahoma Supreme Court denies rehearing, again orders removal of Ten Commandments statue
Plane crash kills four in Wisconsin
Russia bans importation of flowers from the Netherlands