Boy charged in shooting may go to school

Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM

MIAMI, Jan. 30 (UPI) -- A Miami judge Wednesday ordered home confinement for a 15-year-old boy police say killed a girl when he accidentally fired a pistol aboard a school bus.

Circuit Judge Ellen Sue Venzer said the only time Jordyn Howe of South Miami-Dade is to leave his home is to go to school, church or meet with his lawyers, The Miami Herald reported.

"There will be no hanging out at the mall, no hanging out at friends' houses," Venzer said/

Police said the boy was displaying his stepfather's pistol to classmates aboard a school bus in late November when the gun went off. The bullet fatally struck Lourdes Guzman-DeJesus, 13, in the neck while her sister, 7, watched.

The girl's father committed suicide after Lourdes was killed, the newspaper said.

Ron Book, the attorney for the girl's mother, said the family is unhappy Howe is permitted to attend the same school as the slain girl's sister and questioned why the stepfather has not been charged for failing to secure the weapon.

The boy had been in juvenile custody but was charged last week as an adult and released on bail. He is also charged with carrying a concealed weapon and possession of a firearm by a minor, the newspaper said.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
American Apparel files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
Womb transplants begin in U.K. after Sweden's success
Gay Vatican priest comes out day before Pope Francis begins synod on family issues
Scientists find roadmap that may lead to 'exercise pill'
Nobel Prize in medicine awarded to parasitic disease scientists