facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Las Vegas house fire kills man; 3 hurt

Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:50 PM   |   Comments

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 17 (UPI) -- Las Vegas firefighters said a bed-ridden man was killed early Thursday in a house fire that also sent his three roommates to the hospital.

The injuries in the pre-dawn blaze included smoke inhalation and possible carbon monoxide poisoning, but the victims should recover, Las Vegas Fire and Rescue officials told KLAS-TV, Las Vegas.

Heavy smoke was pouring from the home when the first fire vehicles arrived at the scene shortly after midnight. Two of the residents had escaped from the house, and neighbors pulled a third man to safety through a window; however, the fourth resident was unable to escape and was discovered dead inside the home.

Investigators said the survivors told them the dead man had been laid up in bed due to an injury. He was described as a heavy smoker who used a space heater at night, either of which could have started the fire.

The names of the victims were not immediately released.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Merkel urges Putin to withdraw Russian troops from Ukraine Merkel urges Putin to withdraw Russian troops from Ukraine
2
Lindsey Graham fears ISIS will come kill us all, in a not at all hysterical way Lindsey Graham fears ISIS will come kill us all, in a not at all hysterical way
3
Rush Limbaugh: Women actually are consenting when they say 'no' Rush Limbaugh: Women actually are consenting when they say 'no'
4
Venezuela's Socialist Party unveils new prayer 'Our Chavez who art in heaven' Venezuela's Socialist Party unveils new prayer 'Our Chavez who art in heaven'
5
Census: number of Americans living in poverty down, still above 45 million Census: number of Americans living in poverty down, still above 45 million
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback