NEW YORK, Jan. 9 (UPI) -- A woman injured in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing was stripped of her $5.4 million jury award, court documents say.
Linda Nash won the verdict in 2009, suing the New York Port Authority and arguing poor security at the World Trade Center opened the door for a truck bomb that killed six and injured more than 1,000 on Feb. 26, 1993.
Nash, then employed by an accounting firm, was in the underground garage when the bomb went off, the New York Daily News reported, noting she was struck with debris and suffered permanent brain damage and lung scarring from the incident.
Nash was able to sue the Port Authority after a jury found it 68 percent responsible for the terror attack because it had ignored experts' warnings about the parking garage's vulnerability to car bombs, the newspaper said, but in 2011, two years after the Nash verdict, New York State's highest court, the Court of Appeals, excluded the Port Authority from liability in another lawsuit.
The Port Authority used that ruling to argue the Nash case should be dismissed as well, and the Appellate Division agreed in a 3-2 ruling Tuesday, saying Nash's case was "based on an order that had been reversed."
|Additional U.S. News Stories|
WASHINGTON, June 18 (UPI) --General Motors said it would recall 231,000 model year 2006-07 vehicles due to a short in the driver's door that could spontaneously cause a fire.