facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search

Ex-Nazi guard, facing deportation, dies

Dec. 26, 2012 at 4:57 PM   |   Comments

SHARON, Pa., Dec. 26 (UPI) -- Anton Geiser, a former Nazi concentration camp guard who fought deportation after settling in Pennsylvania, has died, his lawyer said. He was 88.

Geiser, a retired mill worker with three American-born children, was an armed guard for the Nazis at the Buchenwald concentration camp, federal prosecutors said. Geiser, who was originally born in Croatia but settled in Sharon, Pa., after the war, said he was forced into service by the Nazis as a teenager and never participated in the systematic slaughter of Jews and other prisoners inside the camp.

Federal prosecutors disagreed and were seeking his deportation to face a trial as a war criminal, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said Thursday.

"People need to look at him as an individual, and I think that he actually stood for something he believed in," said Adrian Roe, Geiser's attorney. "He hadn't believed in the Nazis. He had been forced into it. He didn't want to be kicked out. He wanted to stay with his family."

His death brings the government's case against Geiser to a close, Roe said.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
One cop issued 80 percent of the marijuana tickets in Seattle this year
2
Army receives first advanced CH-47F helicopter variant
3
Oklahoma shook by three earthquakes in less than 48 hours
4
Comic-Con cosplayer sexually assaulted, beaten and left in gutter
5
Utah man teaches 'homophones', fired for promoting gay agenda
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback