UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Ex-S.C. Gov. Sanford to make House run

|
 
Published: Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM

CHARLESTON, S.C., Dec. 21 (UPI) -- Ex-South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, seeking a political return, is planning a run for the House seat of Sen.-designate Tim Scott, a former Sanford aide said.

An announcement would come soon, the aide told CNN Thursday.

"He's looking all but certain to do it," the former top aide to Sanford said, speaking anonymously.

The former aide said Sanford would seek the Republican nomination for the state's 1st Congressional District seat being vacated by Scott, who was appointed to the U.S. Senate earlier this week by Gov. Nikki Haley.

The Republican primary likely will happen in late March per the state law's requirement that the primary must take occur 11 weeks after Scott officially resigns his House seat.

He is expected to resign in early January, CNN said. Scott is filling the Senate seat vacated by Jim DeMint, who resigned to lead the conservative Heritage Foundation.

If no candidate earns a majority of votes, a runoff election would take place two weeks after the primary. A special election would be in May.

Sanford, who lives in Charleston, represented the 1st Congressional District from 1995 to 2001. After three terms, Sanford ran successfully for governor twice and considered a 2012 presidential bid before an extramarital affair upended his national ambitions.

Topics: Mark Sanford, Nikki Haley, Jim DeMint
Recommended Stories
© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional U.S. News Stories
1 of 20
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington
View Caption
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill to tour a photography exhibit by HALO Trust, a British nonprofit focused on removing hazardous war debris, including un-exploded devices and landmines, on May 9, 2013 in Washington, D.C. UPI/Kevin Dietsch
fark
A man probably had a brief moment of joy when he gave the slip to the sheriff's deputy chasing him....
Giant 50-foot magnet makes cross-country trek, as well as quite an attraction
Florida restaurant pulls controversial lion tacos off the menu after huge uproar
Photoshop this red army
Celebrities without teeth. Yes, it is a slideshow. Yes, subby is going to floss now
I-81 closed for several days in Harrisburg, PA after Gov. Corbett forgets to disable disasters on...