WAKEFIELD, Mass., Dec. 11 (UPI) -- Massachusetts police said they were keeping an eye on the home of an accused child molester to prevent vandalism.
Wakefield Police Chief Richard Smith told The Boston Herald he had assigned additional patrols to the neighborhood where John Burbine and his wife ran an unlicensed day-care center to keep gawkers and possible vandals away.
Smith said his officers had not received any credible threats against Burbine and he was beefing up the police presence in the neighborhood as a precautionary measure.
Burbine, 49, was charged last week with as many as 100 criminal counts for allegedly sexually assaulting 13 children over a two-year period. He was free on bond this week.
Prosecutors allege Burbine gained access to the victims through his wife's day-care business. Marian Burbine apparently was unaware of the alleged molestations, but she was aware her husband was a registered sex offender, the report said.