facebook
twitter
search
search

Freak accident lands boy in hospital

Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:54 PM

ORLANDO, Fla., Dec. 9 (UPI) -- An 11-year-old Florida boy was seriously injured in a freak accident involving a water bottle that "sucked his tongue in," his mother said.

The boy was in gym class Monday when the incident happened, WKMG-TV, Orlando, Fla., reported.

"He went in to have a drink and when he went to pull it away from his mouth, it just sucked his tongue in," said his mother, Ebony Gibson. "My heart just dropped. It just dropped."

Doctors had to surgically remove the aluminum bottle from the 11-year-old's tongue.

"His airways had swollen up so badly and his tongue swollen up so badly, he couldn't breathe on his own," Ebony Gibson said. "He's very scared."

Doctors said it's likely that Demetrice will make a fully recovery.

Gibson said she plans on removing all of the aluminum water bottles from her home.

"If you have them in your home, please throw them away, get rid of them," she said.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Ted Cruz campaign pulls ad featuring softcore porn actress
Report: Clinton Foundation subpoenaed by State Dept. watchdog over charity projects
Ruby Rose, Gigi Hadid react to Kanye West's lyric about Taylor Swift
Kristen Wiig impersonates Peyton Manning on 'The Tonight Show'
NYC police officer found guilty of manslaughter in Brooklyn stairway shooting