facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Freak accident lands boy in hospital

Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:54 PM   |   Comments

ORLANDO, Fla., Dec. 9 (UPI) -- An 11-year-old Florida boy was seriously injured in a freak accident involving a water bottle that "sucked his tongue in," his mother said.

The boy was in gym class Monday when the incident happened, WKMG-TV, Orlando, Fla., reported.

"He went in to have a drink and when he went to pull it away from his mouth, it just sucked his tongue in," said his mother, Ebony Gibson. "My heart just dropped. It just dropped."

Doctors had to surgically remove the aluminum bottle from the 11-year-old's tongue.

"His airways had swollen up so badly and his tongue swollen up so badly, he couldn't breathe on his own," Ebony Gibson said. "He's very scared."

Doctors said it's likely that Demetrice will make a fully recovery.

Gibson said she plans on removing all of the aluminum water bottles from her home.

"If you have them in your home, please throw them away, get rid of them," she said.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Hamas executes 18 it claims are Israeli informers, takes credit for kidnapping Israeli teens
2
Malaysia Airlines MH17 victims' bodies arrive in Kuala Lumpur
3
4 firefighters injured in 'Ice Bucket Challenge'
4
Jodi Arias granted delay in death penalty retrial
5
Robert Hansen, notorious Alaska serial killer, dead at 75
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback