facebook
twitter
search
search

Freak accident lands boy in hospital

Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:54 PM

ORLANDO, Fla., Dec. 9 (UPI) -- An 11-year-old Florida boy was seriously injured in a freak accident involving a water bottle that "sucked his tongue in," his mother said.

The boy was in gym class Monday when the incident happened, WKMG-TV, Orlando, Fla., reported.

"He went in to have a drink and when he went to pull it away from his mouth, it just sucked his tongue in," said his mother, Ebony Gibson. "My heart just dropped. It just dropped."

Doctors had to surgically remove the aluminum bottle from the 11-year-old's tongue.

"His airways had swollen up so badly and his tongue swollen up so badly, he couldn't breathe on his own," Ebony Gibson said. "He's very scared."

Doctors said it's likely that Demetrice will make a fully recovery.

Gibson said she plans on removing all of the aluminum water bottles from her home.

"If you have them in your home, please throw them away, get rid of them," she said.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Greek referendum: 'No' vote leads early results, opinion polls
Russian resupply spacecraft docks onto ISS to deliver needed provisions
Maine reports first fireworks fatality since 2012 legalization
Islamic State stronghold of Raqqa targeted heavily in airstrikes
Third disturbance in four days erupts at Arizona prison