facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Bug-eating contest winner choked to death

Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:20 PM   |   Comments

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla., Nov. 26 (UPI) -- A Florida man who died after wolfing down worms and cockroaches to win a contest choked to death, autopsy results released Monday showed.

Broward County Medical Examiner Craig Mallak said the death of Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach, was an accident, The Miami Herald reported.

Mallak said Archbold's airway was clogged with "arthropod body parts" and he died of asphyxia. The autopsy ruled out toxic substances as the cause of death, the newspaper said.

Authorities had said previously Archbold had eaten dozens of cockroaches and worms to win an Oct. 5 contest at a Deerfield Beach pet shop. The prize was a female Ivory Ball python valued at $850 the father of two had wanted to give to a friend, the Herald reported earlier.

No other contestants experienced any symptoms, the newspaper said.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Prince Harry sweeps an adorable little girl off her feet at Invictus Games Prince Harry sweeps an adorable little girl off her feet at Invictus Games
2
Russian bank boss feeling sanctions pain Russian bank boss feeling sanctions pain
3
Ebola health workers killed in Guinea Ebola health workers killed in Guinea
4
Iran issues lashings, imprisonment sentences for 7 who made Pharrell Williams 'Happy' fan video Iran issues lashings, imprisonment sentences for 7 who made Pharrell Williams 'Happy' fan video
5
Woman on ventilator after being hit by cyclist in Central Park Woman on ventilator after being hit by cyclist in Central Park
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback