Bug-eating contest winner choked to death

Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:20 PM

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla., Nov. 26 (UPI) -- A Florida man who died after wolfing down worms and cockroaches to win a contest choked to death, autopsy results released Monday showed.

Broward County Medical Examiner Craig Mallak said the death of Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach, was an accident, The Miami Herald reported.

Mallak said Archbold's airway was clogged with "arthropod body parts" and he died of asphyxia. The autopsy ruled out toxic substances as the cause of death, the newspaper said.

Authorities had said previously Archbold had eaten dozens of cockroaches and worms to win an Oct. 5 contest at a Deerfield Beach pet shop. The prize was a female Ivory Ball python valued at $850 the father of two had wanted to give to a friend, the Herald reported earlier.

No other contestants experienced any symptoms, the newspaper said.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Multiple attacks prompt Jerusalem violence; gun restrictions could ease
Genetic changes could make pig organs usable for human transplant
Five Democratic presidential candidates meet in Las Vegas for first debate
Confederate flag group charged with terrorist threats
Report: MH17 downed by Russian-made missile