Clashes erupt again in Cairo
CAIRO, Nov. 25 (UPI) -- New clashes erupted in Cairo Sunday between Egyptian security forces and protesters opposing President Mohamed Morsi for granting himself new powers.
Hundreds of protesters were in Tahrir Square, where tents had been set up since Morsi issued a decree last week.
Police fired tear gas to break up protests, CBS News reported.
Morsi declared the courts could not overturn any decree or law issued by him since taking office and said the order would remain in effect until a new constitution is completed.
The decree sparked harsh criticism, with protesters taking to the streets.
More than 260 people have been injured in clashes in Cairo and elsewhere in the country in the recent protests, CNN said, quoting EGYNews.
Farouq Jweideh became the third presidential adviser to resign, a day after the Saturday resignations of Samir Morcos and Sakina Fouad, Egyptian media reported.
About 20 Egyptian rights groups signed a petition demanding the decree be annulled, the BBC reported, and MENA said a million man march in support of Morsi is being planned for Tuesday.
The Muslim Brotherhood -- which strongly backs Morsi's Freedom and Justice Party -- called for demonstrations across the country in support of his decree.
Politician Mohamed ElBaradei said there can be no dialogue with Morsi as long as the new decree remains intact, the BBC said.
Bangladesh factory toll tops 100
DHAKA, Bangladesh, Nov. 25 (UPI) -- Firefighters said late Sunday they were still trying to put out a disastrous fire at a clothing factory near Dhaka that killed more than 100 people.
The death toll from the blaze at the Tazreen Fashion plant in Ashuila reached 111 Sunday. The fire was still burning some 17 hours after it started.
Abu Naim Mohammad Shahidullah, director general of fire service and civil defense, told reporters an electrical short circuit may have been to blame for the fire, though an investigation would be conducted to determine the cause.
The fire left scores of workers trapped on the upper floors while rescue crews contended with difficult access to the area, officials said.
"The main difficulty was to put out the fire; the sufficient approach road was not there," Salim Nawaj Bhuiyan, a retired fire official who now runs a fire safety company in Dhaka, told The New York Times. "The fire service had to take great trouble to approach the factory."
The army was also on the scene. Troops were seen in television footage carrying out bodies of the victims while a crowd of hundreds of onlookers watched, the Press Trust of India said.
The Times said Bangladesh's thriving garment industry has been experiencing growing tensions between factory owners and workers who are among the lowest paid in the world. A union organizer was tortured and killed earlier this year by unknown culprits who dumped his body outside Dhaka.
Sources: North Korea to test missile
TOKYO, Nov. 25 (UPI) -- North Korea appears to be making preparations for what could be a test launch of a ballistic missile, government sources told a Japanese newspaper.
Sources told the Yomiuri Shimbun North Korean personnel have been moving various components into an established launch site, which indicates they plan to launch some kind of missile in the near future.
The sources said a U.S. spy satellite spotted the activity earlier this month. The movement involves equipment similar to that used in April when North Korea tested a ballistic missile that exploded shortly after launch.
The Pyongyang government had said prior to the April test the missile was putting a satellite in orbit. No such announcement has been made regarding the current activity.
It was not clear if the North Koreans were planning to launch a ballistic missile or something with a shorter range.
The Yomiuri Shimbun said testing an offensive missile would likely throw a wrench into bilateral talks between Japan and North Korea that began Nov. 15. The newspaper said some observers suspect North Korea is attempting to throw its weight around in the region amid elections and leadership changes in Japan, the United States and China.
Jet lands on China's new aircraft carrier
BEIJING, Nov. 25 (UPI) -- The Chinese military announced the first successful landing of a Chinese-built fighter jet on the deck of its first homemade aircraft carrier Sunday.
The carrier Liaoning was launched Sept. 25 and has undergone more than 100 sea and tactical tests, the state-run Xinhua news agency said.
The Chinese navy said it was satisfied with test results both for the ship and the new fighter jet.
"Capabilities of the carrier platform and the J-15 have been tested, meeting all requirements and achieving good compatibility," the agency quoted the navy as saying.
The military said the new aircraft is comparable to U.S. F-18 and Russian Su-33 fighter planes and is capable of launching anti-ship, air-to-air, air-to-ground missiles and precision-guided bombs.
China has purchased a decommissioned aircraft carrier from Australia and three Soviet-era carriers from Russia, but the Liaoning is the first Chinese-built carrier.