Carbon monoxide poisons jail inmates

Nov. 22, 2012 at 5:19 PM

YORK, Pa., Nov. 22 (UPI) -- Several dozen female inmates at a Pennsylvania jail were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning, hospitals said Thursday.

Warden Mary Sabol said the deadly gas appears to have leaked from the heating and air conditioning system in the York County Jail, The York Dispatch reported. She said a dormitory for women was the only area affected.

The leak was discovered late Wednesday when one inmate became sick. Sabol said 40 to 45 inmates and several guards were treated at local hospitals.

Hospitals said most of the patients had been treated and released by Thursday morning.

"It appears that everyone is going to be OK," Sabol said.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
TSU shooting: 1 dead, 1 wounded in third shooting this week at Houston campus
Listeria threat prompts Whole Foods cheese recall
Russia says missiles aimed at Syria did not land in Iran
Captive orca breeding banned at California's SeaWorld
Wrong drug used in Oklahoma execution