facebook
twitter
search
search

Carbon monoxide poisons jail inmates

Nov. 22, 2012 at 5:19 PM

YORK, Pa., Nov. 22 (UPI) -- Several dozen female inmates at a Pennsylvania jail were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning, hospitals said Thursday.

Warden Mary Sabol said the deadly gas appears to have leaked from the heating and air conditioning system in the York County Jail, The York Dispatch reported. She said a dormitory for women was the only area affected.

The leak was discovered late Wednesday when one inmate became sick. Sabol said 40 to 45 inmates and several guards were treated at local hospitals.

Hospitals said most of the patients had been treated and released by Thursday morning.

"It appears that everyone is going to be OK," Sabol said.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Israeli military calls up reserves for surprise drill
No reports of injuries after 6.9-magnitude earthquake in Alaska
Oklahoma Supreme Court denies rehearing, again orders removal of Ten Commandments statue
Plane crash kills four in Wisconsin
Russia bans importation of flowers from the Netherlands