facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Toadstool soup kills two at senior home

Nov. 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM   |   Comments

LOOMIS, Calif., Nov. 10 (UPI) -- Two residents of a senior citizens home in rural northern California died after eating soup made with poisonous wild mushrooms, police said Saturday.

Four other people were hospitalized after eating the soup, which included mushrooms harvested by a staff member who apparently was unaware they were toxic.

"We responded out to the facility and interviewed people to make sure there was no foul play," Placer County Sheriff's Lt. Mark Reed told The Sacramento Bee. "There wasn't any ... . It was an accident."

The victims were identified as Teresa Olesniewicz, 73, and Barbara Lopes, 86. They lived at the Gold Age Villa on a rural property in near the town of Loomis, the newspaper said.

Two other people became ill but were not hospitalized, including the caregiver who made the soup.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Pakistani leader intimately connected to IS Pakistani leader intimately connected to IS
2
John Wayne Gacy room at Rob Zombie's haunted house angers victims John Wayne Gacy room at Rob Zombie's haunted house angers victims
3
Boston Herald apologizes for 'racist' Obama cartoon Boston Herald apologizes for 'racist' Obama cartoon
4
Court: Democrats don't have to run Senate candidate in Kansas Court: Democrats don't have to run Senate candidate in Kansas
5
Loose mountain lion spotted in Brentwood Loose mountain lion spotted in Brentwood
Trending News
x
Feedback