facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

WSU student dies from alcohol poisoning

Nov. 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM   |   Comments

PULLMAN, Wash., Nov. 1 (UPI) -- A Washington state college freshman died of acute alcohol poisoning and a family member says energy drinks contributed to his death.

Kenny Hummel, 18, of Lynwood, a freshman at Washington State University, was found unresponsive in his dorm room early Saturday. Tests showed Hummel had a blood alcohol content of 0.4 percent, which Whitman County Coroner Peter Martin said is "in the lethal range."

Friends said Hummel had consumed multiple 5-hour Energy drinks along with alcohol, The Seattle Times reported Wednesday. Hummel's aunt, Lea Ann Easton, said the energy drinks enabled her nephew to continue drinking when he otherwise "would have puked and passed out."

Martin didn't dispute the possibility and said he would check to see if toxicology reports could detect caffeine levels in the blood, but said he wasn't altering his finding following an autopsy that alcohol poisoning was the cause of death.

Topics: Peter Martin
© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Great white shark circling surfers photographed by drone Great white shark circling surfers photographed by drone
2
Poland buys medium-range missiles from U.S. Poland buys medium-range missiles from U.S.
3
Louisiana judge rules state's gay marriage ban is unconstitutional Louisiana judge rules state's gay marriage ban is unconstitutional
4
Watch: News anchor resigns live on-air to sell pot, '[Expletive] it, I quit' Watch: News anchor resigns live on-air to sell pot, '[Expletive] it, I quit'
5
Cop-killer suspect Eric Frein possibly spotted, in standoff Cop-killer suspect Eric Frein possibly spotted, in standoff
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback