facebook
twitter
search
search

Judge will allow punitives in PG&E blast

Oct. 30, 2012 at 11:44 PM

SAN BRUNO, Calif., Oct. 30 (UPI) -- A California judge ruled Tuesday plaintiffs may ask for punitive damages in their lawsuit over the deadly 2010 San Bruno natural gas pipeline explosion.

San Mateo County Superior Court Judge Steven Dylina rejected the argument from Pacific Gas and Electric Co. that it was clear there was no malicious intent on their part and any award should be limited to actual damages.

Trial is scheduled to begin in January in the lawsuit, which was filed by homeowners affected by the explosion of a gas pipeline in San Bruno. The huge blast killed eight people and destroyed 38 homes.

One of the lead attorneys for the plaintiffs, Frank Pitre, contended in a two-day hearing PG&E had used "scrap pipe from an unknown source" and the utility had massaged the pressure so it would hold its capacity, the San Francisco Chronicle said.

PG&E countered by saying the mistakes were made years ago and there had been no malicious intent.

Dylina's ruling did not weigh in on whether PG&E should be on the hook for punitive damages, but it did not bar the plaintiffs from asking the jury to award potentially millions of dollars in additional damages.

The Chronicle said Tuesday's ruling could have an impact on pre-trial settlement talks. PG&E has already settled with more than 70 of the 431 original plaintiffs.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
10-month-old Turkish baby rescued after floating out to sea
Immigrant who shot S.F. woman was deported 5 times in the past, police say
5-year-old Florida girl killed by leaping sturgeon
Stonie upsets Chestnut at Nathan's annual Hot Dog Eating Contest
Colorful moments, upsets, record heat mark Wimbledon at halfway point