Beach reopens after fatal shark attack

Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:41 AM

LOMPOC, Calif., Oct. 26 (UPI) -- The beach at California's Vanderberg Air Force Base where a surfer died after being attacked by a shark was scheduled to be reopened, officials said.

The beach, to be open again Friday, had been closed since Tuesday after surfer Francisco Javier Solorio was bitten in his torso by what Andrew Nosal of the Scripps Institute of Oceanography suspects was a great white shark, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Solorio, 39, frequented the beach since he was a young boy, and was riding a short board in small waves when he was attacked by the shark just before 11 a.m. Tuesday. He is survived by a wife and young daughter, the Times reported.

The beach at Lompoc is known for cold waters and a strong undertow, so most people travel north to Pismo Beach or south to Santa Barbara for swimming and surfing, the newspaper said.

The Times said it was the 13th fatal shark attack in California waters since 1950 and the sixth since 2003.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Pepsi to release 'Back to the Future Part II' inspired Pepsi Perfect
Nobel Prize in medicine awarded to parasitic disease scientists
Womb transplants begin in U.K. after Sweden's success
Gay Vatican priest comes out day before Pope Francis begins synod on family issues
Scientists find roadmap that may lead to 'exercise pill'