facebook
twitter
search
search

Survivor of deadly R.I. fire gets new hand

Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM

BOSTON, Oct. 9 (UPI) -- A man severely injured almost a decade ago in a deadly Rhode Island nightclub fire has received a hand transplant, a Massachusetts hospital says.

Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston said Joseph Kinan, 43, of Lakeville, Mass., underwent a lengthy procedure that began late Sunday and continued into Monday morning, The Providence (R.I.) Journal reported. Kinan was the first patient in the hospital's new hand transplant program to have a successful operation.

Kinan's doctors are "cautiously optimistic" he will be able to use the new hand, the hospital said in a statement.

The Feb. 20, 2003, fire at The Station, a club in West Warwick, was the worst in Rhode Island history, killing 100 people and injuring hundreds more. The fire was started by a pyrotechnic display in the performance of the band Great White.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Ted Cruz campaign pulls ad featuring softcore porn actress
Report: Clinton Foundation subpoenaed by State Dept. watchdog over charity projects
Ruby Rose, Gigi Hadid react to Kanye West's lyric about Taylor Swift
Kristen Wiig impersonates Peyton Manning on 'The Tonight Show'
NYC police officer found guilty of manslaughter in Brooklyn stairway shooting