facebook
twitter
search
search

Survivor of deadly R.I. fire gets new hand

Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM

BOSTON, Oct. 9 (UPI) -- A man severely injured almost a decade ago in a deadly Rhode Island nightclub fire has received a hand transplant, a Massachusetts hospital says.

Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston said Joseph Kinan, 43, of Lakeville, Mass., underwent a lengthy procedure that began late Sunday and continued into Monday morning, The Providence (R.I.) Journal reported. Kinan was the first patient in the hospital's new hand transplant program to have a successful operation.

Kinan's doctors are "cautiously optimistic" he will be able to use the new hand, the hospital said in a statement.

The Feb. 20, 2003, fire at The Station, a club in West Warwick, was the worst in Rhode Island history, killing 100 people and injuring hundreds more. The fire was started by a pyrotechnic display in the performance of the band Great White.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Texas man killed in apparent alligator attack
Kentucky clerk sued for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses
Police arrest N.C. soldier with assault rifle headed to mall photo shoot
North Korean biochemical weapons researcher defects to Europe
Four accused in slave-labor trafficking ring on Ohio egg farm