Survivor of deadly R.I. fire gets new hand

Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM

BOSTON, Oct. 9 (UPI) -- A man severely injured almost a decade ago in a deadly Rhode Island nightclub fire has received a hand transplant, a Massachusetts hospital says.

Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston said Joseph Kinan, 43, of Lakeville, Mass., underwent a lengthy procedure that began late Sunday and continued into Monday morning, The Providence (R.I.) Journal reported. Kinan was the first patient in the hospital's new hand transplant program to have a successful operation.

Kinan's doctors are "cautiously optimistic" he will be able to use the new hand, the hospital said in a statement.

The Feb. 20, 2003, fire at The Station, a club in West Warwick, was the worst in Rhode Island history, killing 100 people and injuring hundreds more. The fire was started by a pyrotechnic display in the performance of the band Great White.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Pepsi to release 'Back to the Future Part II' inspired Pepsi Perfect
Nobel Prize in medicine awarded to parasitic disease scientists
Womb transplants begin in U.K. after Sweden's success
Gay Vatican priest comes out day before Pope Francis begins synod on family issues
Scientists find roadmap that may lead to 'exercise pill'