account
search
search

Bus in N.J. crash lacked OK to travel

  |   Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM
WAYNE, N.J., Oct. 8 (UPI) -- A Canadian bus that overturned in New Jersey during the weekend, injuring 23 people, lack proper documentation for interstate travel, U.S. officials said.

The bus, which was traveling from Toronto to New York City, overturned Saturday morning on Interstate 80 near Wayne, The Record, Hackensack, N.J., reported.

The bus driver, identified as Neville Larmond, 51, of Toronto, told police he had been cut off by another driver. Larmond sustained a cut on his arm.

Three of the injured were still hospitalized in "fair" condition as of Sunday, St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center spokeswoman Liz Asani said.

A spokesman for with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration said Sunday the AVM Max 2000 Charter Services of Toronto has "no current operating authority" to move passengers across state lines.

The company's authority to carry passengers was revoked July 9, shortly after the company's liability insurance was canceled, administration records show.

Although no information was available on possible penalties for the company, U.S. civil code states that foreign carriers found operating without authority are generally banned from operating in the United States and are liable for further penalties.

A spokeswoman for the Canadian Consulate said Sunday that Canadian officials in New York City and Ottawa were "working closely with local authorities to provide assistance to the Canadian citizens affected by this accident."

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback