facebook
twitter
search
search

Report: Zimmerman to sue NBC over 911 tape

Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM

NEW YORK, Oct. 4 (UPI) -- Lawyers for George Zimmerman will sue NBC News over editing of his 911 call to police after he shot Trayvon Martin in Florida, the New York Post reported.

Steve Capus, NBC news president, and correspondent Ron Allen, who was the network's "Today" show reporter covering the shooting in Sanford, Fla., will be named in the complaint, the newspaper said Thursday.

NBC News launched an internal probe after broadcasting an edited version of Zimmerman's call to police that implied he immediately told police Martin was black.

The full recording reveals Zimmerman made the observation only when asked a question by the dispatcher, the newspaper said, adding that the network interviewed at least six staffers in its investigation and fired three employees.

Zimmerman told police he shot Martin Feb. 26 after Martin, 17, reached for the gun Zimmerman wore on his waist in a holster. Evidence released last month indicate tests on Zimmerman's gun and holster do not include DNA that matches Martin.

Zimmerman, 28, who has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder, is free on bail.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Wisconsin's Walker in hot seat over open-records restrictions
Greek economy reaches low point on eve of referendum
9 injured when fireworks explode in crowd
Reddit moderators revolt after popular employee dismissed
Chinese stock markets continue declines