facebook
twitter
search
search

2 dead in Chicago Legionnaires' outbreak

Aug. 27, 2012 at 6:30 PM

CHICAGO, Aug. 27 (UPI) -- Two people have died of Legionnaires' disease linked to Chicago's JW Marriott hotel and six others have been sickened, health officials said Monday.

Officials said last week three people had contracted the disease after staying at the downtown hotel, and Monday they increased that number to eight, including the two deaths, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

The hotel's pool, hot tub and fountain were drained after the outbreak was confirmed Aug. 14, Marriott spokesman Jeff Flaherty told the newspaper.

Health officials urged any guests who had stayed at the hotel between July 16 and Aug. 15 and were experiencing symptoms consistent with pneumonia to consult a doctor immediately.

More information is available through the Chicago Department of Public Health's hotline at (312) 746-4835.

Chicago sees about 30 cases of Legionnaires' disease each year, the newspaper said.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Ted Cruz campaign pulls ad featuring softcore porn actress
Report: Clinton Foundation subpoenaed by State Dept. watchdog over charity projects
Ruby Rose, Gigi Hadid react to Kanye West's lyric about Taylor Swift
Kristen Wiig impersonates Peyton Manning on 'The Tonight Show'
NYC police officer found guilty of manslaughter in Brooklyn stairway shooting