CHICAGO, Aug. 22 (UPI) -- Attorneys for the city of Chicago say they have agreed to settle with the last of a series of persons falsely charged of DUI.
Allegations of aggressive DUI arrests by former officer Richard Fiorito have resulted in the dismissal of charges against more than 130 people he arrested, the Chicago Tribune reported.
On Monday, James Dean Jr. was awarded $100,000 in federal court in a lawsuit accusing the 63-year-old officer, who resigned in December, of false arrest and malicious prosecution.
The city awarded $100,000 to another motorist four months and paid attorneys' fees for both plaintiffs totaling $250,000.
Law Department spokesman Roderick Drew said the city never admitted to any wrongdoing by Fiorito.
Allegations that Fiorito was arresting drivers who weren't drunk started arising in 2003, according to an attorney who brought other lawsuits against the officer.
Tom Erickson said five of his DUI clients arrested by the officer were acquitted. The lawyer tracked down about 40 other people who said they had been victimized as well.
Prosecutors refused to charge Fiorito in 2010.