facebook
twitter
search
search

Beard conflict halts Fort Hood trial

Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM
| License Photo

FORT HOOD, Texas, Aug. 18 (UPI) -- An appeals court halted the trial against the U.S. Army psychiatrist charged in the Fort Hood, Texas, massacre to sort out a judge's threat to shave his beard.

Military judge U.S. Army Col. Gregory Gross had previously held Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan in contempt of court five times saying the defendant's beard disrupted court proceedings, CNN reported.

Gross fined Hasan and threatened to have him forcibly shaved if the beard wasn't gone before the start of the trial scheduled Monday.

The judge said Hasan's beard violates Army grooming requirements and since he is still in the Army, those requirements still apply to him.

The military appeals court put the start of the trial on hold indefinitely until the issues surrounding the beard are sorted out, CNN said.

Hasan is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder in the November 2009 attack at the Texas Army base.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
10-month-old Turkish baby rescued after floating out to sea
Immigrant who shot S.F. woman was deported 5 times in the past, police say
Putin congratulates U.S. on Independence Day
Wisconsin's Walker in hot seat over open-records restrictions
5-year-old Florida girl killed by leaping sturgeon