facebook
twitter
search
search

Numbers down for Komen Chicago walk

Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:54 PM

CHICAGO, Aug. 11 (UPI) -- The number of participants in the three-day Susan G. Komen for the Cure walk in the Chicago area dipped 30 percent this year, organizers said.

About 1,200 walkers were at the opening ceremony in Northbrook on Friday, the Chicago Sun Times reported. Last year, there were 1,900.

The drop appears to be continuing fallout over the Planned Parenthood controversy earlier this year. Komen, which raises money for breast cancer, decided to cut a grant to Planned Parenthood's screening program but quickly restored it after a firestorm.

"Komen has had a tough year," Dr. Sheri Phillips, a spokeswoman for the group, said. "Although our participation is down ... we welcome any participant numbers because every dollar raised makes a difference in our efforts to put an end to breast cancer."

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Kurds plan to carve state out of Iraq after fighting stops, leaders say
U.S. airstrike kills one of first Islamic State members in Syria
Former Russian oligarch Sergei Pugachyov suing kremlin for $15 billlion
July 4 terror threats an annual but necessary ritual, experts say
Boko Haram kills 150 in northeastern Nigeria raids