facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Numbers down for Komen Chicago walk

Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:54 PM   |   Comments

CHICAGO, Aug. 11 (UPI) -- The number of participants in the three-day Susan G. Komen for the Cure walk in the Chicago area dipped 30 percent this year, organizers said.

About 1,200 walkers were at the opening ceremony in Northbrook on Friday, the Chicago Sun Times reported. Last year, there were 1,900.

The drop appears to be continuing fallout over the Planned Parenthood controversy earlier this year. Komen, which raises money for breast cancer, decided to cut a grant to Planned Parenthood's screening program but quickly restored it after a firestorm.

"Komen has had a tough year," Dr. Sheri Phillips, a spokeswoman for the group, said. "Although our participation is down ... we welcome any participant numbers because every dollar raised makes a difference in our efforts to put an end to breast cancer."

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Marijuana decriminalized in Philadelphia Marijuana decriminalized in Philadelphia
2
Reports claim Ukraine used cluster bombs in Donetsk city Reports claim Ukraine used cluster bombs in Donetsk city
3
Christian minister helps two lesbian couples sue Mississipi over same-sex marriage ban Christian minister helps two lesbian couples sue Mississipi over same-sex marriage ban
4
Liberals and conservatives get their news from different sources Liberals and conservatives get their news from different sources
5
Russia prepares militarization of Arctic Russia prepares militarization of Arctic
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback