UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Romney-touted firms got government help

  |
 
Republican Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney. UPI/Matthew Healey
Republican Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney. UPI/Matthew Healey 
License photo
Published: July 31, 2012 at 5:22 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio, July 31 (UPI) -- Records show many businesses involved in Mitt Romney's "We Did Build This" campaign benefited from government assistance in one form or another.

The Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch reported the campaign was created in response to remarks made my President Barack Obama earlier this month:

"If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help ... somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen."

Taking issue with the idea that all Americans received help at one time or another, several business owners hopped on Romney's bandwagon.

Steve Miller, president of Millwood Inc., appeared in the Web ad for "We Did Build This."

"I couldn't put my faith in the government or the banks -- no one wanted to talk to me," Miller said, describing the rough start to his business.

However, Millwood received a state tax break of $44,226, Ohio Department of Development records show.

The president of Service Spring Corp. also participated in the campaign. The company received a $70,000 Ohio Workforce Guarantee in 2005.

"He was trying to say 'Hey, you didn't build that business on your own,'" said Dennis Sollman, president of Sollman Electric Co. "'The government helped you build it.' And that's what ticked me off more than anything."

Sollman Electric Co. received millions of dollars in government contracts for schools and colleges.

Sollman, as well as the other business owners who turned out to prove Obama's comments rather than refute them, could not be reached for comment.

Topics: Mitt Romney, Barack Obama, Steve Miller
Recommended Stories
© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional U.S. News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Hundreds of open container violations in Las Vegas thrown out due to lack of evidence
Saudi men who danced naked on a car and posted the video online now working on an even more kinky...
Not news: Home Depot fired employees to cut costs during hard economic times. News: They targeted...
Over the years Nobel laureates have used their prize money on everything from upgrading a motorbike...
Photoshop this off-course submarine
Don't have the heart to tell your bride and her parents that you forgot to book the hall for the...