Flesh-eating bacteria kills Michigan's Crystal Spencer

July 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM

DETROIT, July 30 (UPI) -- A Michigan woman has died after being infected by flesh-eating bacteria more than a month ago, her husband said Monday.

The Detroit Free Press reported Crystal Spencer, 33, of Farmington Hills, died Sunday, her husband, Jeff Spencer, said.

She had been hospitalized since June 30. Her family believes she contracted the disease while having a boil lanced at a medical center, the report said.

Spencer had undergone multiple surgeries, including skin grafts, to areas destroyed by the bacteria. Her recovery was complicated by a diabetic condition.

Many types of bacteria can cause the disease, known as necrotizing fasciitis.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Pepsi to release 'Back to the Future Part II' inspired Pepsi Perfect
Nobel Prize in medicine awarded to parasitic disease scientists
Womb transplants begin in U.K. after Sweden's success
Gay Vatican priest comes out day before Pope Francis begins synod on family issues
Scientists find roadmap that may lead to 'exercise pill'