facebook
twitter
search
search

Zimmerman seeks new trial judge

July 13, 2012 at 9:48 PM

SANFORD, Fla., July 13 (UPI) -- Defense lawyers Friday asked for a new judge to try the second-degree murder case against for George Zimmerman for the slaying of an unarmed black Florida teen.

In a motion filed Friday, Zimmerman's lawyers said they no longer think he can get a fair trial from Judge Kenneth Lester Jr., the Orlando Sentinel reported.

Lester last week increased Zimmerman's bail to $1 million and said Zimmerman appeared to be planning to leave the country with $130,000 he had hidden from prosecutors.

Mark O'Mara and Don West said in the motion for a new judge that Lester's order "makes gratuitous, disparaging remarks about Zimmerman's character," and raise "a reasonable fear in Mr. Zimmerman that this court is biased against him."

One judge -- Jessica Recksiedler -- has already been removed in the case because her husband works for an attorney who comments on the case and had been considered as a prospective defense attorney, the Sentinel said.

Prosecutors said they would object to the motion to disqualify Lester.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Wisconsin's Walker in hot seat over open-records restrictions
Putin congratulates U.S. on Independence Day
Immigrant who shot S.F. woman was deported 5 times in the past, police say
Greek economy reaches low point on eve of referendum
10-month-old Turkish baby rescued after floating out to sea