Zimmerman seeks new trial judge

July 13, 2012 at 9:48 PM

SANFORD, Fla., July 13 (UPI) -- Defense lawyers Friday asked for a new judge to try the second-degree murder case against for George Zimmerman for the slaying of an unarmed black Florida teen.

In a motion filed Friday, Zimmerman's lawyers said they no longer think he can get a fair trial from Judge Kenneth Lester Jr., the Orlando Sentinel reported.

Lester last week increased Zimmerman's bail to $1 million and said Zimmerman appeared to be planning to leave the country with $130,000 he had hidden from prosecutors.

Mark O'Mara and Don West said in the motion for a new judge that Lester's order "makes gratuitous, disparaging remarks about Zimmerman's character," and raise "a reasonable fear in Mr. Zimmerman that this court is biased against him."

One judge -- Jessica Recksiedler -- has already been removed in the case because her husband works for an attorney who comments on the case and had been considered as a prospective defense attorney, the Sentinel said.

Prosecutors said they would object to the motion to disqualify Lester.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
American Apparel files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
At least 5 dead in South Carolina's '1,000-year' rain
Gay Vatican priest comes out day before Pope Francis begins synod on family issues
Utah GOP Rep. Jason Chaffetz joins race for Speaker of the House
Nobel Prize in medicine awarded to parasitic disease scientists