WASHINGTON, June 10 (UPI) -- Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., Sunday dismissed the Obama administration's plans for stopping the leak of sensitive intelligence information to the media.
Appearing on CNN's "State of the Union," the 2008 Republican presidential nominee, said having the Department of Justice lead the investigation would likely not quell anger on Capitol Hill over the leakage problem.
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder last week assigned two federal prosecutors to investigate the leaks. McCain said the Justice Department's involvement was hardly reassuring due to the sparring that has been going on between Holder and Congress over the controversial "Fast and Furious" investigation into gun trafficking along the U.S.-Mexico border.
"Mr. Holder's credibility with Congress is -- there is none," McCain said. "As you know, we've continued to have this problem with him withholding information on Fast and Furious … . He is close to being held in contempt."
McCain said a better plan would be the appointment of a special counsel independent of the Obama administration. He denied, however, that he was implying Obama himself was involved in leaking sensitive information.