SANFORD, Fla., June 4 (UPI) -- Attorneys for George Zimmerman, accused in the death of an unarmed Florida teen and back in jail, said they would ask for a new bond hearing.
Zimmerman arrived Sunday at the Seminole County jail in Sanford, Fla., after a judge revoked his bail. Prosecutors asked for revocation of bail on the grounds Zimmerman lied about financial assistance he had received from supporters.
His attorneys said they would file a motion Monday to ask for a new hearing, CNN reported.
Zimmerman had been in hiding since he was released in April on $150,000 bond, which was revoked Friday.
He is charged with second-degree murder in the death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin during a confrontation in Zimmerman's Sanford neighborhood. Zimmerman, patrolling the streets with a gun as part of a neighborhood watch program, said Martin attacked him and he fired in self-defense.
Sanford police initially declined to file charges because of Florida's self-defense statutes.
The death of Martin, of Miami Gardens, sparked protests across the United States. Critics said the black teen had been minding his own business and was accosted by Zimmerman because of his skin color. Zimmerman is Hispanic and white.
In an online statement posted Sunday, the defense team noted that Zimmerman surrendered to authorities voluntarily and within the 48-hour limit mandated by the judge, demonstrating that their client "is not a flight risk," CNN reported.
Zimmerman's lead attorney, Mark O'Mara, said he recognizes his client has "a credibility question that needs to be explained away," the Orlando Sentinel reported Sunday.
Sheriff Donald Eslinger said Zimmerman was being held on no-bail status in administrative confinement at Seminole County's John E. Polk Correctional Facility.