EAGLE, Colo., May 14 (UPI) -- A Colorado district attorney said his office wants to try two juveniles accused of conspiracy to kidnap and murder another youth as adults.
Eagle County District Attorney Mark Hurlbert said Friday he is preparing motions for a judge to consider if the cases should be moved from juvenile court to district court.
The judge will be asked to set the transfer at another hearing May 25.
A 15-year-old and a 17-year-old from the town of Basalt, Colo., face charges in the alleged plot. The older defendant was arrested April 25 for conspiracy to commit first-degree conspiracy and conspiracy to commit first-degree murder. The younger defendant faces the same charges, and was taken into custody on a probation violation April 18, authorities said.
Basalt police said the 15-year-old confessed to preparing to lure the youth to a nearby park, and planning, with three other friends, to intimidate the victim with a gun, beat him, then leave him to starve in nearby woods.
The suspect was allegedly upset with the intended victim over a drug deal and a relationship with a girl, a police statement said.
The Aspen Times pointed out Monday that Gov. John Hickenlooper removed the power of prosecutors to charge 14- and 15-year-olds as adults without transfer hearings last month. Juveniles 16 and 17 can be charged without the hearings. Hurlbert said his office will request transfer hearings on both boys.
|Additional U.S. News Stories|
KAMPALA, Uganda, May 21 (UPI) --Ugandan police closed down the offices of the Daily Monitor after it ran a series of articles about the president making his son successor, journalists said.
NEW YORK, May 21 (UPI) --U.S. hip-hop mogul Jay-Z says his wife Beyonce is not pregnant with their second child, despite persistent rumors claiming she is.
WASHINGTON, May 21 (UPI) --A member of Congress who led an investigation into the BP oil spill in 2010 expressed outrage that a judge threw out a charge against a former BP executive.