Kent State survivors seek investigation

May 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM
share with facebook
share with twitter
1 of 3
| License Photo

KENT, Ohio, May 4 (UPI) -- Seven people hurt by Ohio National Guard gunfire at a 1970 anti-war protest at Kent State University asked for new evidence from the shootings to be reviewed.

The survivors said at a news conference Thursday they're starting a campaign to persuade federal and state lawmakers and others to hold hearings on new evidence from the May 4, 1970, shootings, which killed four students and wounded nine others, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported.

"We appeal to our supporters across America and worldwide to raise your voices and attention now, as we enter our final campaign for truth and justice," said Alan Canfora, who was shot in the wrist and now directs the Kent May 4 Center, a non-profit educational organization.

The move comes after the U.S. Justice Department decided last month against reopening an investigation into the shootings after considering requests to do so based on a recent re-analysis of an audio recording that included the shootings.

The Plain Dealer said the re-analysis was conducted by two forensic audio experts at the request of the newspaper. The experts said the recording revealed an order for the Guard members to fire. One of the experts said the order was preceded by four .38-caliber pistol shots.

An FBI review of the recording this year found the voices were unintelligible and what sounded like shots may have been slamming door, the Plain Dealer said.

The newspaper said some suspect the four shots in the recording were from then-Kent State student Terry Norman, who had been on the campus photographing protesters on May 4, 1970. Norman, who had sometimes been a police and FBI informer, sought the Guard's protection and surrendered a .38-caliber pistol after he was in a violent confrontation with demonstrators.

Related UPI Stories
Trending Stories