UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Lottery winners accept their checks

  |
 
Published: April 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM

RED BUD, Ill., April 18 (UPI) -- The last of the three March 30 Mega Millions lottery winners came forward Wednesday and accepted their over-sized cardboard check for $218 million.

Merle and Patricia Butler of Red Bud, Ill., near St. Louis, were presented with the check in a ceremony at Red Bud City Hall, which represented a one-third share of the largest multistate lottery jackpot in history.

Red Bud had been rife with speculation among locals and reporters who descended on the small town the past few weeks as identities of the winners remained a mystery after it was reported a local convenience store had sold a winning ticket but no one had come forward to claim the prize, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

The Butlers spent the time working with a St. Louis attorney and a financial planner, and keeping the secret from all but a few relatives and close friends, the Chicago Tribune said.

The other winning tickets were sold in Maryland and Kansas.

Merle, 65, a retired insurance company computer analyst, and Patricia, 62, a former programmer/analyst for the investment company Edward Jones, have been married for 41 years, took the lottery payout in a lump sum of $110,517,449 after taxes and have no intentions of leaving their hometown, population 3,700.

"We've lived here a long time and we don't plan on doing anything else," Merle Butler said.

Recommended Stories
© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional U.S. News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...