UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

A Mega Millions winner steps forward

  |
 
Published: April 10, 2012 at 9:37 AM

BALTIMORE, April 10 (UPI) -- Three Maryland public school employees have come forward with a winning Mega Millions lottery ticket, Maryland Lottery officials said Tuesday.

Lottery Director Stephen Martino said two of the winners are teachers while a third is an administrator, WBAL-TV, Baltimore, reported.

Martino said the three have worked together for years in the public school system and one of the winners holds two full-time jobs to make ends meet.

"These are precisely the people you would want to see win the lottery," Martino said, adding that they were humbled by their stroke of luck.

He said one of the winners is a woman in her 20s, another is a man in his 40s and the third winner is a woman in her 50s.

The trio will receive a third of the $656 million grand prize.

Other winning tickets were purchased in Kansas and Illinois.

Last week, Mirlande Wilson, 37, of Baltimore appeared at a news conference after announcing she had purchased one of the winning tickets, the Washington Post reported.

Edward Smith Jr., an attorney for Wilson, said a lawsuit has been filed against Wilson by a person who claims they contributed to a fund she used to purchase lottery tickets.

"This thing has kind of snowballed," Smith said.

Recommended Stories
© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional U.S. News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...